It has been a while since Microsoft launched the release preview of their upcoming operating system ‘Windows 8′. After getting positive reviews of the customer’s preview, Microsoft is seeking some more feedback from the common people who are going to use the OS. You can download and install Windows 8 release’s preview for free for testing and evaluation purposes.
Windows 8 Release Preview works great on the same hardware that powers Windows 7:
- Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
- RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
- Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
- Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
Additional requirements to use certain features:
- To use touch, you need a tablet or a monitor that supports multitouch.
- To access the Windows Store and to download and run apps, you need an active Internet connection and a screen resolution of at least 1024 x 768.
- To snap apps, you need a screen resolution of at least 1366 x 768.
- Internet access (ISP fees might apply)
Step 1: Downloading the ISO image file and creating a startup disk
The first thing you have to do is to download the ISO image file and write it to a DVD or a USB drive to boot from. The ISO image can be downloaded from the following links.
After downloading, write this ISO image in a DVD or USB flash drive.
Step 2: Partitioning hard drive
You need to create an empty hard disk partition with a size of at lease 20 GB. To do this follow the following steps. You may ignore this step if you already have a hard disk partition.
- Download the live CD ISO image of GParted partition manager. This is a free linux based tool which can be used for creating and managing hard drive partitions.
- Write this ISO image into a CD and boot from it. You’ll see your drive partitions on the top bar. Free some space(30 GB min.) by dragging one of your partitions and create a new partition.
- Click on the tick button or ‘Apply Changes’ and wait till your partitions gets created.
Step 3: Installing
- Now boot from the DVD of USB drive you prepared in Step 1.
- Fill in your details and click next.
- Enter: ‘TK8TP-9JN6P-7X7WW-RFFTV-B7QPF’ (without codes) as key when asked.
- Choose ‘Custom Install Windows Only’.
- Choose the hard drive you created with GParted to install.
- Wait till the installation finishes.
This will install the Windows 8 release preview on your hard drive on a dual boot. This means that you will get an option to boot either Windows 8 release preview or your current (old) operating sytem. In this way you can install Windows 8 release preview without removing your old operating system. Thanks for reading.